Call for Submissions/Deadline Extension
Special thanks to all of the playwrights who have submitted scripts to Caesar’s Ford Theatre, Inc’s “History in ACTion: A Festival of New Historic Drama.” Besides Ohio, submissions were received from as far away as California, Florida, and New York City. The Board of Trustees has made the decision to extend the submission deadline to May 22, 2019 to accommodate playwright requests for additional time to perform historical research. The Board would like to see additional submissions regarding Col. Charles Young, the Shawnee Nation, and Ohio’s wonderful aviation history.
Caesar’s Ford Theatre, Inc is looking for short dramatic scripts based about Ohio history to be included in “History in ACTion: A Festival of New Historic Drama”, to be presented as staged readings September 21, 22, 28, 29, 2019. The festival will take place in an outdoor theatre venue. Playwright and student playwright festivals will occur on separate weekends. Original one-act plays, monologues, or scenes from longer works will be considered. Each script should require no more than 10 performers and run somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes in length. All scripts should be based on stories from the history and culture of Ohio. See below for some suggested subjects and further details. Fictional characters and incidents can be included but historical accuracy is a priority. Scripts should not be based upon previously published works.
Caesar’s Ford Theatre, Inc is seeking a variety of dramatic genres and especially encourages submissions from diverse writers including women, African Americans, and Native Americans.
Caesar’s Ford Theatre, Inc would be very interested in, but not necessarily limited to, historical dramas about the following Ohioans or historical events:
- Col. Charles Young
- The Wright Brothers
- The Shawnee Nation
- Ohio Women
- Simon Kenton
- The Civil War
- James Thurber
- The Underground Railroad
Information for playwrights:
- Playwrights will not be required to pay a submission or participation fee
- Playwrights are requested to submit a short biography (1 to 2 paragraphs).
- Playwrights will be required to sign an agreement
- Plays should be written for an outdoor theatre venue
- Works that are already written will be considered but they must be original. Works based on adaptations from books must have pre-approval
- Plays may be 10 to 30 minutes in length
- Monologues are acceptable
- Playwrights may submit more than one script
- Plays will be read on stage (no scenery, special stage lighting, costumes, or properties)
- Limit cast size to no more than 10 actors
- Submissions must be limited to character interaction
- Scripts should not be based on previously published works
Please also visit www.caesarford.com in the near future for information regarding auditions. Play readers, adjudicators, and some production associates will be needed. Caesar’s Ford Theatre, Inc plans to pay stipends.