Reap the Benefits of Hiring Your Child for the Summer
Hiring your children to work in your business can be a win-win situation for everyone. Your kids will earn money, gain real-life experience in the workplace, and learn what you do every day. And you will reap a few tax benefits in the process. The following guidelines will help you determine if the arrangement will work in your situation.
• Make sure your child works a real job that he or she can reasonably handle, no matter how basic or simple. Consider tasks like office filing, packing orders, or customer service.
• Treat your child like any other employee. Expect regular hours and appropriate behavior. If you are lenient with your child, you risk upsetting other employees.
• To avoid questions from the IRS, make sure the pay is reasonable for the duties performed. It’s not a bad idea to prepare a written job description for your files. Include a W-2 at year-end.
• Record hours worked just as you would for any employee. If possible, pay your child using the normal payroll system and procedures your other employees use.
• Hiring your children works best if you are a sole proprietor. It has additional tax benefits not available if your business is organized as a C corporation or an S corporation.
If you have questions, give us a call. Together we can determine if hiring your child is the right course of action for your business and family.
You can contact us in Dayton at 937-436-3133 and in Xenia at 937-372-3504. Or visit our website.